Trying Polish food for the first time at the Cracovia Club’s restaurant

Cracovia Club’s Polish Restaurant Krakowianka, 375 Marshall Road, Beechboro, (08) 9377 5711
Open for dinner Friday & Saturdays from 5pm til late and Sunday from 1pm til late

A few weekends ago, we went to the Cracovia Club for Polish food in celebration of our friend, regetable’s birthday.

The Cracovia Club amongst our friends is called the Polish Club so I was quite excited to try it out especially as the only taste of Polish food I’ve ever eaten was a pork dumpling made by my dear Polish friend, Dona (regetable’s wife). And it was from that one dumping that I knew that I would like Polish food. Side note – I covered the Polish dumpling with soy sauce and ate it the same way I would Chinese dumplings ;) – all I was missing were chopsticks.

Anyway back to the Cracovia Club, I didn’t know what to expect, burger boy had been before and said it was just a casual Polish eatery with well priced food and drinks. So all I knew was that I didn’t need to dress up…when we were driving in I was surprised to find that the Polish restaurant Krakowianka was located within the Cracovia Club which is home to the Polish Australian Community organisation and the local Polish soccer team, Cracovia.

As burger boy and I were waiting for our friends to arrive for regetable’s surprise birthday lunch, we enjoyed our beers at the bar. burger boy had a Polish beer ‘Perla’ and I had a corona in a Polish glass ;) but I got a bit more adventurous later in the afternoon and had a Perla with my meal.

Polish Beer  Corona in Polish Glass

When everyone arrived we headed into the restaurant and began our Polish feast…

Cracovia Club Restaurant

I was really keen on trying the cabbage rolls (Golabki) but didn’t want to take the risk of ordering it as my main in case it didn’t taste like the home-made cabbage rolls I used to have at my Croatian friend’s home (#childhood flashback). So I went for the safer option and had the Pork Goulash (Gulasz Wieprzowy) $19.

It was a pork stew served with potatoes, sauerkraut salad and a beetroot salad. The pork was super tender and the sauce was really thick & tasty - I was very impressed with the portion!!

Pork Goulash

These were the cabbage rolls ($18). I did have a bite and they were nice but Polish cabbage rolls are nothing like the Croatian’s so it wouldn’t have fulfilled my cabbage roll craving :) so I’m happy with my pork goulash, it was just what I felt like!

Golabki - Cabbage Rolls

A few of our friends had the pork dumplings (Pierogi)…

Pierogi (Dumplings)

Quite a few of the boys had the pork hock (Golonka) $25 which was massive, check out the pic below!

Pork Hock

The chicken schnitzel $19 was a winner amongst many… I didn’t quite get to it on time with my camera :)

Pork Schnitzel

For dessert we had Polish donuts, they were $2 each and tasted just like a cross between a Krispy Kreme and a jam donut. I so wish I bought more to take home!

Polish Donuts

More Polish desserts on offer which we didn’t have room for…

Polish Desserts

We enjoyed a quality Polish meal and rolled out of the Cracovia Club very full and satisfied…burger boy and I didn’t have dinner that night! Cracovia Club is the place to go if you’re looking for quality Polish food in Perth!

Restaurant Krakowianka at Cracovia Club on Urbanspoon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

foodie cravings

I’m a foodie who enjoys trying new food anywhere / any place (restaurants, cafes, bars, market stalls, fast food joints…anywhere just name it!) both in Perth, Western Australia and on my travels. I’m not your ordinary foodie, I’m often described as ‘fussy’ but I really really do love my food - I guess just not everything that’s put on my plate. Though, my other half, ‘burger boy’, eats most foods so I’ll be blogging about what he eats too…and as the name implies, burgers will be a regular foodie blog for all you burger lovers outthere. I love showcasing my yummy food finds with pics so I thought why not share my passion for food with other foodies with my blog, foodie cravings. Follow my food journey as I discover new keepers and rave about my all-time favourites.

Tags:

13 comments for “Trying Polish food for the first time at the Cracovia Club’s restaurant

1. August 31, 2011 at 12:52 pm

That pork hock looks yummy! Are there any restrictions regarding going to dine there? Do you have to be a cracovia club member or anything like that?

• August 31, 2011 at 9:36 pm

No restrictions at all just walk on in :) it’s licensed so can’t bring alcohol in but that’s about it. The pork hock was massive, I couldn’t believe it when it came out!!

2. August 31, 2011 at 9:01 pm

The first thing i read (and had to write this), was that you ate the polish dumpling with soy sauce? (what?) haha polish dumplings are very similar to Russian ones, and shoudl be eaten with sour-cream, tomato sauce, or in some cases vinegar :)

good comment re the fact that the Golabki didnt taste like the ones your croatian friend used to make.. which means they didnt really taste home made (it is all pretty much similar in recipe).. Russians have them also.. nothing beats “home made”..unless the restaurant is actually making them “in-house”, which they should! otherwise it all tastes too processed
    Caviar_Girl recently posted..Little Lamb – not my cup of ‘hot pot’?

• August 31, 2011 at 9:51 pm

haha yea when I had the Polish dumpling with the soy sauce and my friend Dona was having hers with tomato sauce, I did think of you and your cheese with 2min noodles ;) My family still thinks you’re the easiest of my friends to feed!

Do you have a recipe for the Russian cabbage rolls? I’m keen to get my hands on it and the Russian salad with the mayo and gherkin?

3. September 2, 2011 at 6:16 am

the russian salad i can can get when i am home.. but its very easy! I just have to double check the veggies with mum, and also its not just mayo, but mixed with sour cream etc (so its not so strong!)

cabbage rolls mum has never made (that i remember), but its similar to stuffed capsicums.. so will ask also (if you make it before me u are a hero)

and p.s in the situation above, your soy sauce on polish dumpling to me, is like my 2min noodles with cheese to you! totally alien haha
    Caviar girl recently posted..Come Cook With Me

• September 6, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Awesome – yes please! Been craving the russian salad & the cabbage rolls for years!! And I’m always reminded when I go somewhere that serve it…but it’s always different :)

And good comparison re the cheese :) now I understand why you thought it was so normal!

4. October 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Polish beer rocks! (better than Germany beer, but shush, don’t tell anyone)
    Ayden @ Himalayan Salt recently posted..17 Benefits of Himalayan Salt

5. KazCrud
    November 30, 2011 at 6:51 pm

My father imports Perla and sells it to various venues in Perth including Cracovia. and yeah it is pretty good :D

• November 30, 2011 at 8:42 pm

So you’ve got a pretty good stash of Perla then? :) Awesome – was both my first time trying Polish food and Polish beer – loved it! Are there any liquor stores which stock Perla in Perth?

• KazCrud
        December 1, 2011 at 9:36 pm

There is quite a few, but I’m not too sure which ones :( but a couple ‘night club’ sort of things have it (hula-bula bar and devils pad)
        But the polish clubs should always have it, either at Cracovia or Sikorski

• KazCrud
        December 1, 2011 at 9:38 pm

And the one in the picture is Perla Export, my father also has Perla Pilsner which is the original one.

• KazCrud
          December 1, 2011 at 9:43 pm

And yeah, I will ask him tomorrow which bottle shops sell Perla and I will tell you tomorrow (friday)