I absolutely love Eat Drink Perth and the atmosphere it creates in the city – if you haven’t already got yourself a copy of 2015’s Eat Drink Perth program, you can find them at City of Perth’s Information Kiosk on Murray Street or across venues in Perth.
These are my Top 10 Eat Drink Perth Picks for 2015
Get ready to clear your calendars 18 March to 24 April as there’s heaps happening in the city!
1. Perth Night Noodle Market
It was this time last year that I was eating my way through Singapore’s hawker markets (you can find my favourite Singaporean eats here) in celebration of my 30th birthday.. so I’m pretty excited that this year I’ll be eating through Perth’s very own Night Noodle Market!!
These Asian hawker style pop up markets will take over the Perth Cultural Centre from 18– 29 March from 5pm weekdays and 4pm weekends. If you’re not already salivating at the thought, here’s the menu of a few of the 20 pop up stalls – some of which are travelling interstate to Perth!
• Banana Leaf Filipino Cuisine (WA) – Spicy Fish Salad, Filipino Noodles, Flavoured French Fries and Pork BBQ with Rice
• Hoy Pinoy (from over East)- BBQ Pork Belly Skewers & BBQ Chicken Skewers
• Let’s Do Yum Cha (from VIC) – BBQ Pork Bun, Prawn & Chive Dumplings and Chicken Dim Sim & Prawn Har Gow
• Low Key Chow House (WA) – Mantou Buns with pork shoulder 2 ways (part crispy part soft and unctuous) and Kari Ayam Chicken Curry.
• Print Hall’s Apple Daily & Eating House – Linley Valley Roast Pork Belly Kana Moo Grob, Spicy Chicken Wings with Narm Phrik Pao Caramel and Puffed Rice and Smoked Ocean Trout with Coconut, Green Paw Paw, Cashew and Nim Jam
• Shallot Thai (from VIC) – Pad Thai, Green Curry Chicken with Rice and Por Pia Pag which is a Thai vegetable spring roll with a spicy herb filling
• Pasar Malum (from VIC) – Chill Soft Shell Crab with Golden Baos and Nyonya Lollipos which is a fried aromatic chicken on the bone coated with rich Malaysian Nyonya spices
There’ll be a pop-up beer garden and Cider corner too! You’ll know where to find me the rest of this month 🙂
2. Perth Home Grown
Buying locally and cooking with the freshest produce has become more important to me since the birth of our daughter (aka junior burger on the blog). So Perth Home Grown this year is in my Top Picks. I’ll be heading to Forest Chase on Sundays to pick up my fruit & veg whilst browsing the homewares. While I’m in the city, coffee from either the Standing Room Only or Bocelli’s Espresso will definitely be in order (check out my 2013 Eat Drink Perth – 24 Days of Coffee feature here).
3. The Secrets of Beef Masterclass at Meat me in the City
Cooking more often was my New Years Resolution and I love beef so I’m looking forward to learning some secrets from Meat me in the City’s Beef Masterclass. In this class, Meat me in the City will be talking about all the different beef cuts, the best cooking methods and provide inspiration for new side dishes.
If you love your beef too, book yourself into one of the Beef Masterclasses running on Thursday 16 & 23 April 5:30pm for $60 via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Their lunchtime fare looks pretty good too…
• Mothership – Slow smoked pulled pork, pretzel bun with ‘Slaw and the mother of all BBQ mayo
• ‘Ol Smokey – Beef Brisket, pickled mushrooms and Slaw. Nuff said…
• The Trailer Park – Smoked ham hock Hog Mac’n’Cheese sandwich
• Carolina Grilled Chicken – Southern style Grilled Chicken and Beans 2 ways (Country Green and BBQ Baked)
• Must-Hash – Smoky BBQ Brisket smashed together with golden diced potato, sweetcorn and spring onions
4. Eat Drink and Cruise
Captain Cruise and Darlings Supper Club have come together to bring a unique dining experience on the river!
For $100, Darlings Supper Club will serve you share plates from their dumplings, meats and wok menu and a glass of beer/wine whilst you cruise along the Swan River with Captain Cook on the 31 March.
It’s been forever since my last river cruise and I love Darlings Supper Club (review here) so I might see you there if I can find a babysitter for junior burger 🙂
Bookings via www.captaincookcruises.com.au
5. Good Morning Vietnam at Urban Bowl
It’s been a couple of years since I worked in the city and I am so jealous that Urban Bowl has since opened as I would have been there every few days! I’ll be heading into the city with my mum for their sizzling plated traditional breakfasts during Eat Drink Perth! On offer is a the Bo Ne, a lemon pepper steak with fried egg and Bo Kho, a herby beef stew with a 62 degree egg, both served with a Vietnamese iced coffee for $20.
I’m not a morning person so pretty happy that Urban Bowl serves breakfast until 11am.
6. Northbridge Night Adventures with Food Loose Tours
Food blogger and good friend of mine, Justin Blackford launched his walking food tours late last year (check out my interview with Justin here. My friend Mia who doesn’t head into the city often went along to one of his tours and loved discovering new gems which she’s been going back to since!
With all the new bars and dining establishments popping up, my nights out are often crammed into one so Northbridge Night Adventures is on my hit list!
During Eat Drink Perth Food Loose Tours is offering 25% off when using the discount code “eatdrink” via www.foodloosetours.com.au.
7. Cider and sliders at The Brown Fox
Would you believe I have never been to The Brown Fox? It’s been on my to visit list forever. So even though I don’t need an excuse – learning how to make cider and tasting the The Lazy Dog cider brewed in their micro site brewery with sliders is a good enough reason to go! It’s on Tuesday 21 April and tickets are $30 via email@example.com
8. Eat Drink Perth Dessert Garden
Did someone say dessert?? There’s been many times where I’ve eaten dessert first or for breakfast, other times I’ve just asked for the dessert menu first before ordering entrees and mains – just to make sure there’s enough room! So this dessert garden is right up my ally.
Eat Drink Perth’s dessert garden is part of the Twilight Hawkers Market which runs every Friday night from the 20 March and will feature chocolately, cakey, sugary delights in a pop-up garden.
9. Dessert degustation at The Trustee
Second dessert Top Pick for Eat Drink Perth! Can you tell I love my dessert? For $39, The Trustee will serve up four courses of sugar goodness including a pannacotta, snickers bar salted caramel ice cream, ice cream sandwich and a tart with vodka jelly to share between two. I’m going this one alone, I don’t intend on sharing any of this with burger boy or maybe we’ll just order enough for four?! Bookings via 6323 3000.
10. Slow food cooking with Vince Garreffa
I’m a huge fan of Mondo’s Butchers and if I wasn’t working on Friday 10 April, I’d be heading to the City Library at 12:30pm to listen to Vince Garreffa talk about slow food and buying local.
Bookings are free, just call 9461 3500.
Eat Drink Perth Passport
I’ll also be making the most of Eat Drink Perth’s passport. First up will be a visit to Boffins for new cooking inspirations, I’ll be sure to make use of their 10% off full priced food & beverage books to buy myself a new cook book before heading to Tea for Tu for their signature brioche and coffee/tea for $5 then to Amphoras Bar to enjoy a four course dinner with a glass of wine for $40.
Other Eat Drink Perth posts on foodie cravings…
Eat Drink Perth posts which I’ve written about the last four years if you are after a preview of what to expect for these events (although it does get bigger & better each year)…
I also did a special 24 Days of Coffee Eat Drink Perth feature in 2013 if you’re after a good brew in the city!