Gluten free hot cross buns

It has only been in recent months  that I realised how common celiac is and how limited the food offerings are for foodies that are gluten intolerant.

My understanding of gluten free foods and the processes involved was limited until we opened our Crust. It is was then that I realised the extra time and care taken to make a gluten free pizza is twice that of a normal to prevent ingredients containing gluten from being passed on. Knowing all of this, I now have a great appreciation of the processes that the gluten free factories go through to ensure their products are 100% gluten free and as close in taste to products containing gluten.

So when I heard there was a gluten free hot cross bun range available at Coles throughout Australia (list of stores available on Momentum Foods website) I was curious to learn more and to find out if it tasted the same. I received a frozen pack in the mail last week and was surprised it tasted fairly close to hot cross buns with gluten.

Simply Wize Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns

Texture was a bit different but I found if you heated it for longer it becomes softer. I am told the Simply Wize Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns ($5.99) are made in a 100% gluten free factory to ensure the most gluten free products possible.

Gluten free hot cross bun

If you’re looking for a gluten free hot cross bun – give these gluten free  hot cross buns a go & let me know what you think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

foodie cravings

I’m a foodie who enjoys trying new food anywhere / any place (restaurants, cafes, bars, market stalls, fast food joints…anywhere just name it!) both in Perth, Western Australia and on my travels. I’m not your ordinary foodie, I’m often described as ‘fussy’ but I really really do love my food - I guess just not everything that’s put on my plate. Though, my other half, ‘burger boy’, eats most foods so I’ll be blogging about what he eats too…and as the name implies, burgers will be a regular foodie blog for all you burger lovers outthere. I love showcasing my yummy food finds with pics so I thought why not share my passion for food with other foodies with my blog, foodie cravings. Follow my food journey as I discover new keepers and rave about my all-time favourites.

Tags:

10 comments for “Gluten free hot cross buns

1. Chompchomp
    March 21, 2012 at 8:16 pm

They look yum! Which Coles dd you go to? My local doesn’t stock this brand. They only have the Bodhis ones which have soy flour. No good for me. Would love to try these ones!
    Chompchomp recently posted..Cantina 663, Mount Lawley

• March 27, 2012 at 6:38 am

I had mine delivered but am told the North Perth definitely has it.

This is the list of WA Coles which have them according to the website (full list on http://momentumfoods.com.au/latest-news/item/80.html):
      Albany, Australind, Baldivis, Bassendean, Beechboro, Beldon, Belmont, Booragoon, Brighton Village, Brookdale, Bunbury, Bunbury South, Busselton, Carousel, Chinatown, Claremont, Collie, Dunsborough, Ellenbrook, Erskine, Flinders Square, Forest Lakes, Forrestfield, Fremantle, Galleria, Geraldton, High Wycombe, Hillarys, Inglewood, Innaloo, Joondalup, Kalamunda, Kalgoorlie, Karawara, Kardinya, Kelmscott, Kununurra, Maddington, Mandurah Forum, Manjimup, Meadow Springs, Melville, Midland, Mundaring, Narrogin, Noranda Square, North Armadale, North Perth, Northam, Northbridge, Ocean Keys, Phoenix S/C, Rockingham Park, Scarborough, South Hedland, Southern River, Southlands, Thornlie, Victoria Park Eas, Wanneroo, Warnbro, Warwick Grove.

2. Hamilton
    March 22, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I hope it tastes as good as it looks. I’ll surely give it a try.
    Hamilton recently posted..guitar resources

• March 27, 2012 at 6:31 am

It was close but just make sure you heat it up enough – otherwise texture is a bit different.

3. Danyelle Franciosa
    March 28, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I am switching now into gluten-free foods because I am pregnant and my doctor advised me not to eat too much sweets. The buns looks yummy!
    Danyelle Franciosa recently posted..Bifold Doors

• April 7, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Oh how exciting Danyelle – congrats! How have you been finding the gluten-free options?

4. April 23, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Gluten free food is where it is at these days if you are trying to stay lean and healthy. A few years ago you could hardly find gluten free product unless you went to a special health food store. Now “Gluten Free” is hitting the main stream! It’s about time!
    Michael recently posted..Juice Fast